Monday, January 25, 2016

It's A Start | Book Talk #1

I'm starting a new series. Again. I don't know what I'm thinking. This came to me as I was binge watching Ariel Bissett's videos. I love her content and how she isn't afraid to voice her honest, sometimes brutally so, opinions. She puts up a lot of really interesting discussions about mostly modern literature and they're really worth checking out if you love those kind of things. Or if you love books in general, really. Just check it out. She's great.

On her channel, she doesn't do monthly wrap-ups like most booktubers do. Instead, she's got a series called 'Book Reviews' where she talks briefly about what she thinks of the books that she's read. She said that sometimes she doesn't have that much to say to put up a full length review for a book. So, she accumulates short reviews every couple of months to share her opinions about what she read in between one review video and another. Does that make sense? I hope it does. You can watch her latest Book Review video by clicking here. She explains it better than I can. clicky, clicky.

Because I'm not very good at writing lengthy reviews, I decided to do the same thing. Review a few books in smaller chunks to share my thoughts on them. I think it will make it easier for me to keep track of what I'm reading. I also think that it will help me with my reading challenge in one way or another.

Okay, enough with the rambling. Let's get on to the reviews!

I really, really appreciate this graphic novel. I think it's an important piece of literature. I couldn't relate to what happened. I don't think anyone in my family is directly affected by the second World War. But the moments that he shared with his father made it really easy to connect with both of them. It felt very humane and it makes me feel that I am also sitting there with Spiegelman while his father tell his tales. However, I kind of don't see the point of having the Jews, Nazis, Poles, etcetera portrayed as different animals. Sure, it helps me diffe-rentiate different types of people, but I feel like it could be explored more. Have more meaning to it, you know? Overall, I really like this graphic novel. It is quite thought provoking especially for someone like me who doesn't really know about the Holocaust apart from my high school history textbook. A solid 4 out of 5 stars. It gives me the urge to ask my grandfather about what happen in his childhood while my country hadn't declared independent yet.

In Real Life by Cory Doctorow & Jen Wang
This graphic novel is beautiful. The art style and the colours are so pretty. It's a story about a girl who was invited to join a community within an MMORPG. A book about gaming with adorable characters? Count me in. The plot of this graphic novel is nothing special, really. Having faith in yourself, not let others dictate your life, and sometimes it's necessary to sacrifice something in order to do what you think is right. You see that a lot in modern literature. But at the time, it was something I really need. A lighthearted story with a happy ending. Especially after reading Maus which was heavier, I guess. And as I said, the art style and colours are wonderful. What more do you want from a graphic novel? A sparkling 4 out of 5 stars. Totally recommend it.

You Deserve A Drink by Mamrie Hart
Oh, Mamrie. Do I love her and her beautiful face. This book is such a fun time. Now I really, really want to be her best friend. She's got comedic timing down like no one else. And I love it. Also a 4 out of 5 stars.

Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley
This is such a cute and upbeat graphic novel. I flew through it so fast. Can you believe I read the whole thing in one sitting? Cause I can't. I have read his Scott Pilgrim series and I was kind of meh about them. But this one is quite good. There are a few cameos of the Scott Pilgrim characters so look out for that if you decide to read this book. I gave it a 4 out of 5 stars (and another theme around here as well?).

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
To start off, I also give this book a 4 out of 5 (can you see the theme more clearly now?) I've had this book in my bookshelf for about two years now. And I just pick it up because the movie is coming out and I want to watch it. It's also been a while since I read a dystopian novel, so it's nice getting into it again. I was kind of hesitant to pick the book up because I've heard mixed things about it. But I flew right through it. It was so fast paced and has a really nice flow. I quite like it. Rick Yancey did not disappoint me. But I get why some people don't like it. There's nothing much happening in this 400+ pages book. I think it's more of a set up for the sequels. It also gets boring at times, but I could deal with that. Not the worst. I'd give it a thumbs up.

These are what I read in the first week of January. I think my reading in 2016 is kicking off pretty great. I enjoyed most of the books that I read which is nice. I honestly don't know if I will keep up with this for long, but I will try my best to continue doing it. You can see the list of books that I finished reading this year by clicking on the goodreads challenge button on your right. If you see something that I've read but not on this post, it just means that I'm not done with it yet by the time I finished writing this post. They are coming soon-ish. Reviews are difficult for me, okay!

Also, I'm sorry I bombard you guys with book related posts these past few weeks. I promise next week's post is not about books. Well, not entirely about books. I just like books too much not to talk about it every now and again. By the way, have you noticed that I've been posting weekly? No? Now you do. And I have something exciting to tell you next week, so I'll see you then.

Until next time!
Riz

No comments :

Post a Comment