Monday, February 1, 2016

I'm Going to Korea!

Yes, you read that right. South Korea, in case you're wondering. Yay! I've been dying to tell you guys about this but I'm waiting until it's fully confirmed, and now I can officially say that I'll be going. This is not for a trip, mind you. Well, not entirely, at least. It's for a student exchange program that my uni's holding and I'm so excited about it!

I've been preparing the whole thing since July. It's quite a chore, to be honest. I have to complete a lot of paperwork, research which university will have my major with the units I'm taking, get approved by the course coordinator and International Office people, get approved by the host university, and loads more that I can't really think of right now. It was a really long process. There was also a lot of waiting because getting documents signed and approved apparently takes a week. I'm looking at you administrations people. But, I mean I guess it's not really their fault. There are a lot of students going on an exchange and need to get their things done as well.

All of that aside, I'm mostly done with all the complicated registration stuff. I just need to get a few documents from my course coordinator and I'll be ready to go! But, of course I'm not quite done yet. I would need to actually enroll to the uni in Korea, schedule the units I'm taking, get a bank account, register myself in Korean immigration, get a phone plan, and other things like that. I've still got a lot to take care of. But for the most part, I'm pretty much done with my pre-departure requirements.
If any of you are wondering, no. I don't speak fluent Korean. However, I can speak it enough to hold a conversation. I think so, anyway. But I can read and partly write in Korean alphabet or Hangul. Not too shabby, yeah? And since my flatmates are Koreans, they've been teaching me a few slangs and curse words as well. The life of bilingual people, teaching people how to curse in their language. So, I think I'm pretty much covered in the everyday language aspect. My lectures and assignments will be in English, though. I don't have to worry about not understanding a single thing the professors are saying.

I can hardly wait! I don't know anyone who's going to be in the university I'll be attending. I don't even know anyone from my uni who's going to South Korea as well (excuse my anti-social self). But I'm still so excited about all this! I'll start my journey around the end of this month and I will definitely put up a post or two about my experience, so look out for that!

I'll see you guys next time!
Riz

No comments :

Post a Comment