Monday, February 8, 2016

Let's Talk About The 5th Wave Movie

Heads up, this is not a review of the film, just a little rant. The words typed down below are only my opinion. You are free to agree or disagree with it. And I welcome a discussion on this topic in the comments, but please be nice to each other if you don't share the same view. Just a little disclaimer. I don't want to start a fight. *hides in the corner*

Also, this post will contain spoilers for the book and movie of The 5th Wave. So, if you have not read or watched it, please read with caution. Or don't read it at all. It's all good. Unless you don't really care. Then proceed.

A few weeks ago, I saw The 5th Wave movie which is based on the novel by Rick Yancey. I was really excited to watch the movie because I quite enjoy the book. It was a disappointment, to say the least. I didn't hate the movie, don't get me wrong. It was not the worst movie of all time. But, as an adaptation of the book, I didn't like it. I think it's because I was expecting so much from it and it let me down. I like the book quite a bit and I want to like the movie as well, you know? Unfortunately, that's not the case. Sigh.

So, I'm gonna deliver this rant in points because I'm still so annoyed by it that I don't think I can put together coherent paragraphs to express my feelings. Thank you for your understanding. I guess I'll start now.

1. They left out the relationship that is Zombie and Nugget. What the actual fuck?
2. Cassie's blunt sarcasm. Where is it? Can't see it even if I squint.
3. Ben and Cassie don't know each other. They never talk to each other. The first scene of the movie is Ben saying hi to her and chat a little. What?
4. This is probably the part of the movie that I'm most annoyed with. When they met in the Army base, Book Ben doesn't even know what Cassie looks like. In the movie, he instantly recognises her. He recognises her first, even. REMEMBER THE BABIES? That part of the book was so funny. WHY'D YOU LEAVE IT OUT!? *sound of my heart shattering* I mean, at least give me a "remember the phone case?", script writers! You can at least use the first scene of the movie if you can't be bothered with the babies. I love the babies scene. Can't you tell?
5. Bear has never been talked to in the movie. It's just there. There's no relationship between Cassie and Bear. I am hugely disappointed by that.
6. Evan's actor. His delivery is so weird. It's like he's got dead eyes. I'm no actor, but if you make me cringe every time you appear on the screen, there might be something wrong. He's just there to make girls swoon is what it feels like.
7. I like Ben Parish's actor, though. He's pretty good.
8. Evan's creeper moments. The knock code. I loved that in the book. It's so funny. Why isn't it there?
9. The scene where Evan reveals that he's an Other is just like Edward showing his sparkly torso. Just without the sparkly bit.
10. In the book, Cassie lets Evan in her mind to see what he actually is. What he knows. In the movie, it's just him jumping on trees and being super strong and stuff. It's like Twilight all over again, if you ask me.
11. Book Vosch was a dick. Why is he so nice in the movie?
12. I picture Ringer as a badass, confident, and put together soldier. She looks just kind of emo to me in the film. I mean, she's not too bad. It's just that I'm expecting her to be like little Lucy Liu. Like June from the Legend series by Marie Lu, if you will. And what I get is a girl with a lot of eye liner. She's pretty, but just not what I was expecting.
13. The Evan bathing scene. What the fuck was that? What does that have to do with anything?
14. The Wonderland scene. That was a huge part of the book. It's not in the movie. WHY?!
15. There was almost no sense of urgency in the film. It's like everyone is just taking their sweet little time with everything. THE WORLD IS ENDING, EVERYBODY!

My friends said it was fine. Not too bad, they said. But having read the book, it was quite a big disappointment. The movie got rid of so many parts that made the characters enjoyable and delightful. The funny and badass action moments are barely there. I want to like the movie. Believe me, I do. I even dragged my friend who wasn't really interested in seeing it to watch it with me. But it's just disappointing. It's a relief that she hasn't read the book so she's not as bummed as I am. At least she can still appreciate Evan Walker's beautiful face. I was so annoyed by his acting that I face-palmed almost every time he talks.

Once again, I'm not saying the movie is horrible. It's just that there are things that I expect from it that the creators did not deliver. And I'm annoyed by it. As I said, my friends enjoyed the movie just fine. It's me expecting too much of the movie to be what I want it to be and it's not. Maybe I'm comparing it too much to the book while I'm supposed to see it as its own thing. I don't know. I'm tired.

Until next time!
Riz

No comments :

Post a Comment