Sunday, December 30, 2012

Looking for Alaska by John Green: A Review

Title: Looking for Alaska
Author: John Green
Publisher: Speak
Series: Standalone
Release Date: December 28, 2006
Pages: 221 (Paperback)
Source: Purchased
Rating: 

Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (François Rabelais, poet) even more. Then he heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

After. Nothing is ever the same.


This is my first contemporary novel. Ever. It is quite an experience, I'd say. It was very thought provoking. Something I would expect, actually. It was John Green, after all. Anyways. I really enjoy this book. It was very character driven. Since I am so used to a plot driven story, I kind of expect more of "things happening". But it's still a really good book.

I don't know how he does it, but John Green made me care about every single character appeared. My favorite character is probably Dr. Hyde. I respect him a lot. I also really like "The Bundle", as I call it. Pudge, Alaska, The Colonel, Takumi, and Lara. They are ones that I wish I had as a friend. (I do have very great friends, though.)

Alaska is a very fascinating character. The way she handle things... I want to handle things like she does. She is really smart and clever. I wish I had a friend like her. I'll do so much better in school. She is basically a genius that it isn't fair.

Pudge and The Colonel is quite similar in my eyes. Different, but similar. They are both very caring and fun. They are really smart, too. What is it with all these smart characters? It's unfair! I love how they care about each other. As Alaska said, they're like an old married couple.

This book is not the kind of book that is like intense and you're just like "OMG, WHAT'S HAPPENING? TELL ME NAOW!!" kind of thing. But it's like the way the characters think or react to things makes you think. Does that makes sense? It does to me. It's a new thing for me to feel while reading a book. I always expect some action while reading and this book doesn't have it, obviously. But this book makes me think about things in a different way. And I like that.

P.S. I didn't cry. Is that weird? I teared up a little bit, though.
P.S.S. I'm sorry this review is so jumpy. It's my first time doing it. Please be nice :)

No comments :

Post a Comment