Friday, December 28, 2012

Best 2012 Reads

Hey, guys. It's almost the end of the year, so I guess I will present you my top 12 reads in 2012. This year was pretty good for me in the reading-land. I read around 40 books. That's exciting :)  Here goes the list!

PS: It's in no particular order. Enjoy!




1. The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1)  by Suzanne Collins
 
Do I really need to explain this? Everybody knows this book. It's like the mother of all dystopian new releases. I am kind of late by reading it in 2012. But it's better late than never, right?



2. The Emerald Atlas (The Books of Beginning #1) by John Stephens

It's a middle grade book. The story follows three siblings going from orphanage to orphanage after they are "removed" from their house one Christmas Eve, until one day, they stumbled upon an adventure.

It's really good, guys. I highly recommend you guys checking it out!






3. The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner #1) by James Dashner

This is an awesome sauce, guys. Probably the best book I've read this year. I love the characters and the world building is amazing. It feels like I'm right there, running through the maze with them. Read it. Just read it. You'll get what I mean.




4. Catching Fire (The Hunger Games #2) by Suzanne Collins

This is the sequel to The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It was not better than the first, but I still really like it anyway. I like the concept of the arena in this one. It was very clever. Oh, and I like Finnick ;)




5. Poison (Poisoner Mysteries #1) by Sara Poole

This book was set in the Renaissance period. Everything was so cruel back then. This story was about the Borgia family, I think? and it was told in the point of view of their potion maker.

This book was my first historical fiction. I think it was fascinating. I suggest checking it out if you're interested in this kind of thing!




6. The Red Pyramid (The Kane Chronicles #1) by Rick Riordan

This is another awesome middle grade book alongside The Emerald Atlas. This book contains Greek mythology, which excites me. It was also very detailed, so I don't think you'll miss anything.

If you're a fan of The Percy Jackson series, then I suggest checking this out.




7. Looking for Alaska by John Green

This book is something out of my comfort zone. I usually read dystopian, fantasy, or sometimes middle-grade, but I've never read a contemporary before. This is a really great start for me. John Green is one awesome author.




8. Sweetly (Fairytale Retellings #2) by Jackson Pearce

This is my favorite read this year along with The Maze Runner. It was so good. This book is a retelling of Hansel and Gretel. There was quite a lot of twits and I liked that. It was so haunting. I really adore this book.




9. The Gates by John Connolly

This book was quite an experience. It was beautiful in a weird way. It mentions so many things that I didn't even know exists. There was a lot of footnotes, but they didn't bore me. Instead, they make this book even more interesting.




10. The Death Cure (The Maze Runner #3) by James Dashner

So many people have a problem with this book. I am not one of those people, obviously. Though, I agree that the ending is terrible. I adore the character development in this one. Can't wait to read The Kill Order :)





11. Demonglass (Hex Hall #2) by Rachel Hawkins

This book is adorable, I should say. It was a fantasy, but delivered in a light way. It has its moments but it's not that intense. It was really funny, too. The dialogue was hilarious. Oh, and Cal, Y U NO APPEAR MORE??





12. City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments #3) by Cassandra Clare

I liked the first two books, but I like this one better. It's just more intense and I see quite a lot of Maia. I LOVE her. A lot. The world building is wonderful, in my opinion. Idris was beautiful in my head. Oh, and there's a lot of twist that you just wouldn't expect. I loved that.


So, that is it for my top 12 reads of 2012. I just realized as I'm typing it, almost all of the are a part of a series. And that I didn't read any 2012 releases. At all. That's a shame because I own quite a few of 2012 releases. I was just too lazy to pick it up, I think.

If you also have a list of YOUR 2012 best reads, please leave a link in the comment below. Or if you have a recommendation for me, also leave them in the comment. Have a nice day!

xo,
Rizka

P.S. I read one more book and just finished it today! It was so good! That book was...



13. Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer

This book is the best thing ever. It was so good! It's dystopian AND a fairytale retelling of, you guess it, Cinderella. Cinder is a really great character. She is really easy to relate to. And there's the swoon-worthy Prince Kai. I NEED THE SEQUEL NAOW!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment