Sunday, January 4, 2015

2014: A Reading Year in Review

Hey, people of the internet! It's been quite a long time since I last post. I will probably say that in the beginning of every post. You know how things are with me, expect the worst that could happen and you'll always end up quite satisfied in the end.

Anyway, IT'S FREAKING 2015! What the freaking freak?! How did I get here? Actually, don't answer that. Since it's a new year, I want to share some things with the internet regarding to the books that I read last year. If you are wondering, I did finish my 2014 reading challenge. Yay!

Now, I want to talk about how my reading experience was last year. I will mention some of my favorites, books that I don't really like, and some book covers that I love. 2014 was actually quite a good reading year. I read a lot of books by authors I've never read before and most of them are really good. Without further a due, let's get into it!



Some Favorites (in no particular order)



First of all, let me tell you how glad I am to get this paperback edition instead of the one with a lot of faces. I mean, I don't mind it much but I like this one a whole lot better. But covers aside, I can say that this is my favorite John Green book. I know, I know, you people are going to disagree with me saying that Alaska is better. To be honest, I relate with Colin more than Miles or Alaska. I didn't cry while reading this like I did with Alaska but it still feel that I connect more easily and smoothly with the characters in Katherines. This was one of the first books that I read last year and I felt so motivated to keep reading knowing my 2014 kicked off well.


Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness

This book is the last installment of the Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness and boy, was it a journey. The character development is superb in this series and I love almost every single one of them. I give all of the awards to this book. If you haven't gotten around to reading this series, please do. Buy it, pick it up in the library, borrow from your friend (or steal it cause it's so good you'll want to have it for yourself), whatever, JUST READ IT! Okay I'm done. Sorry. But seriously, this series is wonderful.



Another great character driven book. It has a very beautiful exploration on people's relationships with each other. This coming-of-age story hits me right in the feels. It's just so beautiful. Yeah, that's the word to describe this book, beautiful. Also, look at the cover. How pretty is that? I'm kind of annoyed by how the book prizes things covers the beautiful artwork but what can I do? Anyways, I really recommend you to read this book. It is just beautiful inside and out.


Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley

I just realized when I'm looking at my list (yes, I have a list) that almost all of my favorite books are of the contemporary genre. What a change! I remember being not really into contemporary in 2013. Heh. Life is weird. Anyway, this was a freaking great book. I really loved the tone and mood of the book. It was light but also very touching. Really makes me miss my family back home and hug them and tell them how awfully happy and glad I am to have them in my life. I guess 2014 was all about the feels for me.


I actually didn't read this book. I listened to the audiobook which was read by Neil Gaiman himself. If you do not realized, I somehow always include Neil Gaiman's books in my favorite books lists. He is becoming one of my favorite authors at a terrifyingly fast pace. About the book, the overall ambiance is very creepy and tense. However, Neil Gaiman's way of reading it makes it somehow peaceful while still keeping the eeriness there. I don't know how he does it but it was also like that with Coraline. He's just great at voicing his own books, I think. I can almost hear the passion he has for his works through his voice.


Cress by Marissa Meyer

This is the third book of the Lunar Chronicles series. It is loosely based on Rapunzel, as the characters of the whole series is based on some kind of fairytale. The first being Cinderella, then Little Red Riding Hood, and now Rapunzel. I can't really tell you anything about this book without spoiling the previous installments, though. Basically, everyone is in some way connected with each other. Just know that it's a great series. I am highly anticipating the last book in the series called Winter which will be based on The Snow Queen. It will be released sometime this year. Though I am bummed that the series will end soon, I'm still very excited!



This was adorably touching. Feels a lot like Wonder by R.J. Palacio but more explicit (is that the right word?) It's about an Indian boy (America Indian, not India Indian. Who decided that we agree on those names, anyway?) who tries to break out of the stereotype of an Indian. This book emphasized on how race is not something that should hold you back but the realness of reaction of the society, even ones of your own race, was really what makes this book so amazing. It was a very light read. There are illustrations here and there. However, the subject that it's touching on really makes me ponder about the world and society and how it affects us, especially me, as an individual.



A nonfiction? WHAT?! But let's get real. It's THE Grace Helbig we're talking about here. How could I not include her, really? I really love her on the tube and her podcast is just greatness, so when I heard she's coming out with a book, it's an instant "YES PLEASE!" I actually listened to the audiobook first and then order the physical book a few days later. I repeated it for probably 5 times. Maybe more, I don't know. It is just so funny and fresh and actually useful for a being like myself who can barely function in a social situation. I can't even interact correctly via the internet let alone physically. But this book actually encourages me to be confident (or at least pretend to be) when I'm around people. Her advice really does work for me and I am forever thankful for that. Thanks, Grace. You're great.



Disappointing Ones (also in no particular order)


A Midsummer Tights Dream by Louise Rennison

I have to say that Louise Rennison is not really my cup of tea. I tried reading her Georgia Nicholson series but I don't find it enjoyable. Last year I decided to try her Tallulah Casey instead. I have mixed feelings about the first book but I continued on. I'm just going to say that the characters annoyed me. I kept rolling my eyes and sighing in annoyance while reading this book. Maybe it's because I didn't get to it when I was a little younger. The 'wittiness' just didn't sit well with 18-year-old me, I guess. That being said, I am not going to continue reading this series. I'll probably just give it out to my younger cousin or niece.


Ostrich by Matt Greene

I was given the book by a friend on my birthday. He said I will probably like the book since I was into contemporary and that it has a kind of 'John Green-y feel' to it. The blurb said the book was sad and funny. It was none of those things to me. I couldn't relate to any of the characters. I couldn't even remember the names or even the storyline itself. Maybe it just me or maybe because it's his debut novel, I don't know. It just didn't leave any impression whatsoever on me.



I didn't know what to expect of this book when I pick it up. John Green said that it was great, but the reviews I heard from people whose opinion I trust stated otherwise. In the end, I kind of went into the book with a pretty low expectation. The first few chapters was actually quite nice, so I was a little bit more excited about the book. I thought that it was probably not going to be as bad as people say it would. However, as I go on with the story, things just kept going downhill. The interesting characters were slowly getting bland throughout the course of the book and it somehow made me feel bad. Some people said that the second book is much better. I probably will get around it some day but I'm surely not going to spend any cash on it.



Pretty Covers (for the last time, in no particular order)



Look at it. Just look at it. Are you looking at it? Please look at it. All of the brightness and happiness just of the cover alone will be enough to convince me to buy it. And the story. The story was great too. It was formatted like a film script and it was something that I haven't seen before. But this section is all about the cover so I'm not going to go on and on about how wonderful the story is. Are you still looking at it? Good. Keep doing it.


Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

I love the simpleness of it. The magenta over the light bluish greenish background just compliment each other. (get it? hahah. I'm lame, I know.) The simple illustration around is also very pretty. I really like the drawing style, simple but says everything that has to be said. Also, this was an impulse buy because everyone is gushing about it and I am so very glad that I did purchase it.



Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Look at it and tell me it's not one of the most beautiful and clever use of negative space you have ever seen. I dare you. I fucking dare you. *drops mic* But honestly, this series, well at least the first two books, has the best covers. It's such a shame that they decided to change it to 'fit the market'. I don't really like the choice of font, though. A little bit too much for my liking. But it is overall very pleasing to the eye.


Whew! It's done. THIS POST IS DONE. I've been working on it for days. I am a pro procrastinator. You should be aware about this fact by now. As usual, you can click the title to see more about these books and their reviews on goodreads.

Have a great 2015, everyone! (Yes, I am ordering you to have a great year. Don't you dare fuck that up. *smiley face emoticon*)

No comments :

Post a Comment