Thursday, December 15, 2011

Books and Stuff

Finally, My exam week is done! Yay! But I have to go through the remedial week which gonna start on December 13 and will end on December 20. Sucks, I know. After all that mad exams you did and followed by another exam, well, literally.

It's almost semester break and I'm gonna be FREE!!! So, I am now craving some books to read. I LOVE reading. And I found some interesting books to read that I saw in the bookstore but have no chance to buy it because of the exams and stuff.

Well, I'm not the kind of person who reads "romance" stuff, either it's an adult or even a young adult romance, because it could get kind of cheesy and weird. I mean, it's okay if a book have some kind of romance touch in it but it must not mainly telling story about love stuff, you know what I mean? Like the Harry Potter series. It has some kind of "love story" of Harry and Ginny or Ron and Hermione, BUT the main plot of the series is about the adventure of Harry and friends to defeat The Dark Lord. Not all lovey-dovey stuff. So, no for romance. I mean, I'm a kid. I'm not ready for this kind of thing :/

Then the "Teenlit", as people say it. I don't know how I feel about this kind of book. I mean, some of them are quite good, like the Gallagher Girls series, and some of them are just plain weird. I don't really buy "teenlit" ever, other than the Gallagher Girls series. I usually borrow it from my friends or my cousin. In my cousin's case, every time we go to the bookstore, she always go to the teenlit section. I mean, really? There's so many good books just behind that section.

Next, I LOVE series. I mean, when you're finished reading a stand-alone or one shot book, it was like, okay, it's done. Series, on the other hand, whether you like it or not, you'll have a bond with the characters. It's like, you live there, you know them, you know what they're going through. Like when I read the Harry Potter series, I cried when Dumbledore died, because I have a bond with him. Losing him is like losing my other grandfather. It's so sad. The way he helped Harry throughout the years is so... ah, I couldn't even explain it in words.

So, I get a list of books that I want right now and let's get to it!

1. Erec Rex: The Search of Truth by Kaza Kingsley

I already got this in April or May of this year but I haven't read it because I got no chance. The school and stuff. I mean, I got home at 3 PM and get bunch of homework from the teachers that I have to do. So, the chance of reading this book is zero. Even in weekends, I always take my time to get away from all school things on the weekend, like rocking out to the songs in my iPod or just watching TV but not reading stuff, except when I got things that is due on Monday. 
So, this book is the third book of the Erec Rex Series by Kaza Kingsley. I love the first two books. I mean, I'm not obsessed or anything. I just love it. It is basically a kids book but since I am a kid myself, so, yeah.
I don't know. When I'm reading this series, I'm sort of drown into the book. The world where Erec Rex lives, which is not like other worlds. I'm a sucker for fantasy books, so, yeah.
Well, I can't really tell you anything about this book since I haven't read it yet. But there's a possibility of me writing a review on this book. I don't know though. I mean, It's in Indonesian. I'm not really good at translating things, so, yeah, we'll see.

2. The Darkest Powers Trilogy by Kelley Armstrong

I don't know anything about this book, really. But, I don't know. There's something that attracts me to it. Maybe because of the cover? They're pretty. And the synopsis, they're really interesting. They're some kind of supernatural books which is new to me. But I wanna try to read it because I'm curious.
I've read and watched some reviews on these books. Many people said that these books are pretty good. Then I watched this review on YouTube. The reviewer said that the first two books are great, but the third one kind of ruin it for her. But I don't know, I'll try reading it. The third one hasn't come out yet since I live in Indonesia and they have to do the translating and stuff, so, I'll wait for it.
I recently went to the bookstore with my cousin and I saw the second one but I can't find the first one which is really weird. But I found out that they sell it online too, so maybe I could get it there. I have to tell my dad first, though, because I don't have credit cards and all that jazz. So, yeah, if I can't find it in the bookstore I'll probably have to go with the online one.

3. Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Now, this is a classic and I'm really late for wanting to get this just now. I don't know, I'm weird. I love the story of Alice in Wonderland, yet, I haven't even read the book. I mean, I saw the cartoon and the movie, and I like them. I don't know, I think I'm not quite interested on the book before, but now, I want it. Like I want it very, very much. I really want to know what happened to Alice that is not in the cartoon or movie.
The picture on the left is the Indonesian version of the book, but I really, really want to get the English version of it. I saw it on eBay a few days ago and it's kind of expensive, tough, with the shipping cost and stuff. But I really, really want it.
So, Alice in Wonderland is definitely in my wishlist :)


4. The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks

Since I found out about Kimmi Smiles on YouTube, I started to take a liking on zombies. The way she talks about zombies in her videos is so bubbly and happy, so I'm always excited to find out what will she tell us next. She already made about 6 (7?) videos talking about zombie on her channel.
I like zombies because of her. She has a really good reason why is zombie her favorite "mythical creature". She said that zombie is the only "mythical creature" that is possible to be "real" because of viruses like Rabies. Then I think that it's kind of true. I mean, the "zombie" here is not the zombie that came out of the grave and everything like that. It's more of the virus infection thing, not just randomly come alive and attack people.
I think the "infecting process" is still by biting the non-zombie and eating their brain and flesh, but there will be people that carries the virus in their bodies and not realizing it, so the virus will slowly take control of their body and turn them into zombie. I don't know.
This book right here, is telling us how to survive the "Zombie Apocalypse" that said could occur in 2012. You know, stuff like what to do or not to do, what to bring, what is the best weapon to use, all that kind of stuff. And this book is NOT fiction. It's not in the fiction section. Even if the "Zombie Apocalypse" does not happen, it's still be a good read. So I'm going to check this book out.

5. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

This is probably going to be the most random book that I want. I mean, I don't know anything about this book. I've never heard of it before. But I read some review of this book. There are so many positive ones which make me want to get it even more and there are some negative ones too, though. But, oh, well, you can't please everyone.
Oh My Gosh, the synopsis. It's so good, so weird, so mysterious, SO AWESOME.
It's another supernatural book that I want to check out. Oh Gosh, I'm so excited! I hope this book is as awesome as the synopsis is. And I'm really looking forward to reading this book.


6. The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong


Another book by Kelley Armstrong. This book is a companion to the Darkest Powers Trilogy. The main character name is similar with my sister's name, Maya, awesome. So, yeah, I read some reviews of this book on goodreads.com and a lot of people say that this book is really good. Even if they didn't like the Darkest Powers Trilogy, they still like this book, so I think this book is going to be awesome.
This is the summary that I found in the goodreads.com:
Sixteen-year-old Maya is just an ordinary teen in an ordinary town. Sure, she doesn't know much about her background - the only thing she really has to cling to is an odd paw-print birthmark on her hip - but she never really put much thought into who her parents were or how she ended up with her adopted parents in this tiny medical-research community on Vancouver Island. 

Until now

Strange things have been happening in this claustrophobic town - from the mountain lions that have been approaching Maya to her best friend's hidden talent for "feeling" out people and situations, to the sexy new bad boy who makes Maya feel . . . . different. Combine that with a few unexplained deaths and a mystery involving Maya's biological parents and it's easy to suspect that this town might have more than its share of skeletons in its closet.

So, yeah, Interesting. I'm really excited for this book to come out in Indonesia.


7. I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells

I like this genre. A serial killer stuff, but not really. I don't know, I'm kind of obsessed with a murder-kind-of-thing book. It's really fascinating to know what's going on inside the head of the murderer.
So, this book is about John Cleaver who is a sociopath and obsessed with serial killer. He kind of has a struggle with his life. He tried to not murder people. That people would see him as a normal person. If you know John in real life, you wouldn't know that he is a sociopath, but you might think that he is some kind of weirdo. As the title said, He's not a serial killer, but something happened and people starts accusing him of being a serial killer. Or so I thought. I don't know, I haven't read the book yet.
All of the review I read or watched is saying good things about this book. So, I think, why not? I like the genre, I like the summary, people like it, so I might like it too, right?
This book is actually the first book of a series. I don't know what the series called. But, yeah, I'll look it up later. I'm too lazy right now. Haha.

8. The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare

Another series, I know. I think I'm attracted to these books because of the good reviews that I saw the other day. People are crazy about this series. I heard that there is a movie for these books. They said that the series is awesome. Etcetera, etcetera, etcatera.
The picture that I'm showing here is not the entire series. There are two  more which called "City of Lost Souls" and "City of Heavenly Fire", I think. I went to the bookstore a few days ago and I can't find the first book, "City of Bones", and it'll be weird if I start with the second book. So, yeah, I think I'm going to "hunt" the first book again in the semester break.


9. The Infernal Devices Series by Cassandra Clare


Another series. Another Cassandra Clare's series. I don't know. After watching some reviews of The Mortal Instruments series, I found out that this series is the companion to The Mortal Instrument series.
Many reviewers on YouTube LOVE Cassandra Clare. They have her in their top 5 author... stuff. She kind of connects both of these series, which is really clever. It makes you have to buy both of the series or your life wouldn't be complete, literally. So I think she's pretty awesome.
I don't know what this book is about. I think it's about warlocks, wizards, vampires, all that kind of stuff. I mean, look at the cover! Isn't it obvious?
So, yeah, I'm excited to get these books :)


10. Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins


I saw this book the other day in the bookstore and I said to myself that I'm totally going to get this book if I go there again. The reason I couldn't get it right away is the same reason that I use over and over again. School, exam, and stuff. Which frustrates me so much. I haven't read any book, other than the school book, for about 2 months. I mean, what? So, in this semester break I'm going to read as much as I could. Wish me luck!
So, back to the book. This book is a story about a girl, I forgot what her name is. At the age of twelve, I think, she found out that she was a witch. Then she did something and her dad punish her and put her in the "Hex Hall". I don't know what the heck "Hex Hall" is, So I'll have to read this book first.
Apparently, this book is a part of a series. I don't understand why most of books I want to read is a part of a series. It's so annoying. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE series, but I need some light read too, you know?


11. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss


So, this is a fantasy book. I LOVE fantasy books. It's like the author creates a whole new world. It's awesome how they could put such detail in the book. They have such a HUGE imagination. I'll never be able to write this kind of book. I don't have that big of imagination, so, yeah.
The main character of this book is Kvothe. He is a really powerful wizard in the beginning of the book. So, the rest of the book is telling us about his journey from just being a normal person until he became a wizard. He went to this magic school but he didn't fit in because the others was richer, more famous, etcetera, etcetera than he was. So he had this "hunger" to be the best which makes him interesting. He was not the "good guy" all the way through and that really makes him not boring.
But I don't really know. I haven't read the book yet. I don't even know if they have this book in my country. My country's kind of late for anything, so, yeah. But I'm really excited to check this book out. And I read that the author is working on the sequel of this book. Another series, great.


Well, I think that's all I got for now. It's a LOT of books, but I don't know. I'm just crazy about books. I text my dad the other day to buy me these books and I keep adding a book everyday, so he was like "Are you drunk or something?". I laughed really loud on that. I mean, He's my dad. He's supposed to know that I'm obsessed with books. I said to him once that if he wants to give me a present or something, just give me books. He should get a hint, no?


Just a little random fact: I started writing this post on December 12 and it's posted on December 14. I don't know. I just think you guys would wanna know.


Anyway, I'm gonna wrap this up now. Talk to you guys later!


xoxo,
Rizka.

No comments :

Post a Comment